September 6, 2011

More Reasons to Eat Chocolate!

Just another article about chocolate that makes me happy! Yes, dark chocolate. Sorry..

Every year there's an article about how chocolate is ACTUALLY good for us. Whether it's stress, or to help us release certain endorphins or to strengthen our memory (good one), there's always a new study. Either it's by a bunch of fatties who live in a room made of chocolate and have their heart set on justifying their consumption. Or it really is something we need to pay more attention to (my preferred choice).

 Heart Disease, Diabetes and Stroke: More Chocolate, Less Risk stated that "five of seven studies included in the review [of chocolate being good for us] linked high chocolate consumption with a 37 percent reduction in cardiovascular disease risk, a 31 percent reduction in diabetes risk and a 29 percent reduction in stroke risk when compared to low chocolate consumption." 

Unfortunately the recommended chocolate is dark with 60% cocoa or higher (bummer). My Milka or Daim obsession will definitely not suffice. I know that when I tried Lindt's 70% cocoa I nearly gagged. If I can stick to their dark chocolate with nuts and orange peel I can handle it. Obviously you can't be a fatty about it, "This is a wonderful example of the opportunity to love food that loves us back," said Katz. "However, too much of a good thing is no longer a good thing." Translation: not a whole bar.

There isn't an exact recommended dose, but I'd say go for it daily. Better to be safe than sorry :)

[via abc news]


2 comments:

  1. Try Lindt's 70% Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt. It's AMAZING! The salt brings out the sweet of the chocolate making it taste much less dark than it actually is!

    I have a newfound love for dark chocolate after trying to switch over to a 'healthier' lifestyle. However, the label 'dark chocolate' makes me feel like I can have the whole bar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh that sounds good! I tried chocolate with salt when I was in Napa and thought for some reason I'd only find it there. It WAS yummy. I'll look for it here. It's such an acquired taste... I'm reaching it slowly. I mean no one says you can't have the whole bar................................

    ReplyDelete