June 29, 2011

When to Follow the B.R.A.T.T.Y. Diet

Anyone who knows me well knows I have an embarrassingly weak stomach. Not only did I convince myself I was lactose intolerant, I tried to convince everyone around me they were too so I'd have more Lactaid milk around. I ended up finding out I just can't digest foods that are high in saturated fats as well as most people. 

I can say that I've finally found the food balance I should follow, which makes me very happy and helps me avoid many painful nights and loose bowel movements (sorry tmi!!). 

ANYWAY, every once in a while I do slip up; usually when I dine out, and when I overdose on certain desserts (which I will gladly endure pain for). Yesterday night was one of those slip ups at Ping Pong. I love that place, but never again will I order their Wonton Soup or anything with coconut milk for that matter. If you have stomach problems stay away from coconut milk! It wasn't even worth the pain or feeling sick the next day. 

So if any of you ever find yourself in the same uncomfortable situation, the best remedy is to follow a B.R.A.T.T.Y. diet, which is bland and low in fiber. The acronym stands for:

- Bananas
- Rice (white)
- Applesauce
- Toast (white)
- Tea
- Yoghurt

I personally love rice and yoghurt and can eat it anytime, so it's not really torture for me. It's also important to drink lots and lots of water to help with any dehydration your body is experiencing.

By the end of the day you'll feel much better. I hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment