July 24, 2011

Some Like it Big

Imagine you could spot your name on earth from space.

I stumbled upon this photo in the article, "Man Etches Name in Sand, Visible from Space" by Ian O'Neill. It's 1,000 meters high and 2 miles wide, etched onto the island Al Futaisi off the coast of Abu Dhabi in honor of Hamad Bin Hamdan Al Nahyan, a member of the ruling family. 

It only took two weeks to complete. I actually think it looks quite cool. How much of a necessity it is though, is something else.

Apparently he built a pyramid to house 200 of his cars; so I'm assuming he likes things just slightly larger in scale.


2 comments:

  1. I think I read that it doubles up as a canal system to his yet to be built new house. Although by the time you read this the house will probably already be complete ! Martin Sullivan ( love the photomontage btw )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martin!

    You're right, it HAS been built already. Ha ha ha! I'm not going to lie, I'd be interested in seeing what he comes up with for a house. We might get kicked out of the country for it to fit...

    ReplyDelete