July 20, 2011

Cleavage is Not Consent. So what makes a slut?

That Canadian policeman who told people to "avoid dressing like sluts" to stop being victimized did not expect the tsunami of wrath by women to hit! Slutwalks continue to take place with organizers chanting "blame the rapist not the victim, doesn't matter what I'm dressed in" and much more. It's really amusing that women are expected to look sexy but are supposed to symbolize chastity. I still wonder what makes a girl a slut. The term is so vague and relative to me.  

I completely agree with the protests; WHY would the victim get blamed for getting raped by some abuser with psychological/ insecurities/life issues? I found a statistic which stated that "In the United States, a woman is sexually assaulted or raped every six minutes. 85% of victims know their attacker and 84% of rapes will go unreported." There are a slew of reasons rape is said to take place, a lot of them revolve around the need to feel in control and powerful, and realease frustration more so than sexual pleasure. At this point the victim is usually viewed as an object rather than a human. 

Growing up between the Middle East and the US has definitely brought about a definition of confusion and contradiction. I'm not a fan of girls or boys who sleep around with anything that moves and it is hard not to judge them, but I make a conscious effort not to. It's not my place to, and if I think it I try my best to keep it to myself. There are just so many levels to sluts, and I've experienced the definition ranging from girls who wear a tight skirt to girls who sleep around with different guys regularly. 

I'm not a feminist, but I do think there should be a concrete definition of what a slut is so that a lot of puerile boys (and girls) can stop getting satisfaction by throwing the word around as a calumny. It's really something new generations should grow up with a clearer understanding of. More importantly, men should not try to justify their disgusting impetuous acts of rape on what a girl wears; blame your nasty uncontrollable and frustrated penile urges on yourself. If you're raping someone you have more of a mental problem to deal with. But you know that already. 

2 comments:

  1. Slut is too harsh of a word to call a female who dresses provocatively. However, I am a firm believer that despite her intentions, it does warrant for unwanted invitations and approaches by men. I say dress according to the environment you are in and keep your audience in mind.

    ReplyDelete