July 6, 2011

Google Goggles where have you been all my life?!



It's so funny how things work. Just yesterday I asked my brother if he knew of any applications that allowed you to post an image and immediately find the source or any links to it. When he didn't I'm not going to lie, I felt like a genius, until I decided to keep some random station on in the car while driving and got put back in my place. Apparently Google has had the application Google Goggles for some time now and it's EXACTLY what I was referring to. Check out the video above, the guy is a bit weird and I wouldn't want him as a friend, but you'll definitely get the gist. 

About a week ago the Getty Museum formed an alliance with Google Goggles and has become the first museum to adopt image recognition. All of its art work is now in an online archive that you can access using the application. It's such a great way to learn more about art pieces at your own pace, rather than trying to get as much information from those tiny information posts in the least amount of time. I don't even know why I bother reading those, I always just skim them anyway; I suppose it makes me feel like I'm learning something. In reality the info just goes straight out my other eyeball.

Knowing this earlier would have saved me so much time and so many weird search keywords; especially when looking for the source of the two painted boobies below... (that's right, I said boobies).

4 comments:

  1. Something else that's pretty cool and a bit more old school heh, http://www.tineye.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can also detect text in some languages and translate them into English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh thanks Chris it looks great, I really have no preference as long as it finds the image right :)

    Will it tell me exactly which pyramid I'm looking at?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah its a bit more basic than that =/, it crawls the web and finds the same picture and links to the website. So if it's random picture you may get lucky and find the artists gallery or something heh, if it exists online that is.

    The google thing is more impressive cause it actually recognizes stuff.

    ReplyDelete