August 7, 2009

The Uniform Project


Growing up wearing a uniform to school until the 7th grade made me hate the concept and want to burn all my old uniforms.... come to think of it I might have done just that. Even though I see the benefits of a uniform, I wouldn't have minded mine if it didn't look like an outfit worn by the cleaning staff of a hotel. Yes there were always those girls who knew how to shorten their skirts and make their uniform mirror fashion trends... I was never that girl.
However, a friend of mine brought this really cool and inspiring concept to my attention recently that makes wearing a uniform not look like such a bad idea. The Uniform Project is a fundraiser to raise money towards uniforms and other educational expenses for children living in Indian slums. Sheena Matheiken, who executed the project had a friend design 7 identical dresses for each day of the week. This dress was designed to be worn in many ways and during all seasons. She also plans on accessorizing it with hats, belts, brooches and many more.
Anyone can donate with either money or old or newly designed accessories. Check out the site: http://www.theuniformproject.com

No comments:

Post a Comment