March 5, 2012

i'm finally grateful, again.

"What lights you up today?" I finally dragged my brother, sister-in-law and one of my best friends, Grace, visiting from Boston, to Cafe Gratitude in the Mission where you're always welcomed with a question. For those of you who don't know, it's one of my favorite vegan restaurants in San Fran and I feel oh so whole and content after eating there (thanks to my girl Razane).

I'd never be able to be a vegan, but I have to say if I had these meals cooked for me, it wouldn't be that hard.

Mmm.. no I take that back, I love meat and froyo way too much.

Since I've eaten there and know how good the food is, I always seem to forget the usual misconception of vegan food being bland, boring, and scary. I had to do a bit of convincing to Grace. I think people should always be up for experimenting; spontaneity tells you a lot about how exciting they are in... life. N'est-ce pas?

We decided to only order four dishes rather than go too wild (FINE, I was told to only order four); but I'm glad they controlled me. After the meal I made sure we got dessert and you know when you keep eating because it's in front of you? You convince yourself you're only taking small bites, you know, just skimming off the top- but then end up eating more than half. That's basically what happened to me, and lets just say that I was actually about to cry when we left. We had to walk around to help me digest, because if I got in the car I would have gotten sick instantly. It's so like me to overdo something until I can't stand it anymore. I feel better now though... wouldn't mind another round or two :)
 I am Whole is my favorite dish (bottom left): sea vegetables and kale, steamed quinoa, house made kim chee, carrots and sprouts with tahini-garlic sauce and teriyaki almonds. YUMMAY.
 This was the runner up, I am Hearty: deep-dish pizza with sun-dried tomato marinara, pesto, olive tapenade, Brazil nut Parmesan and cashew ricotta cheese on live onion sunflower pizza crust. Cmon.. you're getting interested. 
I wasn't wild about the desserts. We got a coconut mousse and a pecan and chai cheesecake. I can't think of it cuz the thought will get me full again. I think if I were to get a dessert I'd get their smoothie I am Grace. It's de-lish! 
I even bought their recipe book yaay! Knowing me I won't make anything in there, but I'm still excited! I don't even think you can find kale in Dubai ugh... #firstworldproblems

So yeah, anyone visiting this side of things, make a stop at Cafe Gratitude for a yummy experience and to learn a whole new perspective on vegan food.

xx penguina

No comments:

Post a Comment