May 1, 2012

don't worry, be happy


there's always a time of the month when i realize something i need to change about myself. this month it's been about maintaining a steady flow of positive energy. whenever i feel a negative surge go through me i try my hardest to fight it. i make sure to always be grateful no matter what situation i'm in. i might not have everything, but any situation can always be worse.

one of the main changes i've been consciously working on is how i react to anything that frustrates me. when my father sent me an email with the 90/10 Principle by Stephen Covey it really made me more cautious of my reactions. the principle is the idea that "10% of life is made up of what happens to you and 90% of life is decided by how you react." you might find this extreme, but i've found it true in many ways.

according to this principle 10% of what happens is out of our control, be it a red light, a car breaking down, or someone spilling coffee on a brand new shirt of yours. however, we can control how we react in these situations. if we remain calm, the situation can be forgotten without stress, whereas if we react harshly towards others and stress ourselves out, the rest of our day will face a negative domino effect.

following this principle is worth it; there were days my reactions would irritate ME and controlling them has made such a difference. i still have a lot to work on but I've found that being able to just let go and not let something get the best of me has made me much happier.

remember, happiness is a choice; don't wait for something great to happen. find happiness in the smaller things around you and what you already have. when you're having a bad day it's important to keep reminding yourself how lucky you are, even if you don't feel it.

give yourself a task: try to follow this principle by controlling your reactions, and each day think of three things you are grateful for. if something happens or someone says something that upsets you, count to 10 to calm yourself before you react (i still struggle with that one). despite all the pain and frustration we go through, life is beautiful and nothing is worth stressing about.

xx penguina

2 comments: