December 26, 2009

Raw Chocolate Pudding




I must say I impressed myself after cooking a simple but delicious Christmas feast. The menu (I know, I'm just assuming you care): baby spinach salad with an orange-cinnamon vinaigrette, an applesauce-rubbed turkey, sweet potato & marshmallow casserole, and dried fruit and quinoa stuffing with fresh cranberry sauce and gravy on the side. Wanting something different for dessert, I made a recipe I was recently introduced to - chocolate pudding that doesn't require any cooking! Let me just state that if you don't care for cooking, this post will not excite you. The secret ingredient that gives it the great consistency is none other than the perfect avocado! I can't stress enough how important it is for the avocados to be fresh, otherwise you'll have a foul aftertaste. I adapted the recipe slightly by adding flavored maple syrup extract, if you can find it I highly recommend it. 


Ingredients:


Music: anything Glee
Mood: looking for a quick and satisfying dessert

¼ cup pitted medjool dates, soaked
¼ cup agave nectar or honey
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp maple syrup natural flavored extract (optional)
¾ cup mashed avocados (1 ½ avocados)
¼ cup & 2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa or carob powder
½ cup water
¼ cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted with skin removed (for those who can handle the nuts)

In a food processor, process dates and agave nectar until smooth. Add the avocado and cocoa powder, mix until creamy. Add water while mixing slowly until you reach your preferred consistency, you might have to add more than ½ a cup. Add the vanilla and maple syrup extracts. Pour mixture into serving cups and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts for an extra crunch. Store in the refrigerator. Servings: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment