December 18, 2009

Michelle Danner Acting Workshop *Update*

I had previously mentioned an acting workshop I’d be attending in Dubai held by well renowned acting coach Michelle Danner. Saying it was such an amazing experience is an understatement. I can honestly say I learnt more in the 4 days with her than I did in the 4 years I studied acting in college. That’s really sad isn’t it? The two classes she taught were On Camera Audition Technique and the Actor’s Golden Box. We really covered so much information, we got to work with scripts and have mock auditions that were recorded. We also experienced a set of different exercises to open ourselves more emotionally, which I think was pretty life changing for a lot of us. Additionally, we analyzed acting techniques and choices actors made in some films/ plays. It was all so helpful and I'm sure I'll carry the notes I wrote in my mind wherever I go. I’m hoping Michelle finds her way back to Dubai sometime next year because I am definitely up for a round two and I know I speak on behalf of all the wonderful friends I made in her class.

Among the many films that we should all have in our database, this is a list that Michelle gave us to watch:
  • On the Waterfront, Elia Kazan
  • Sling Blade, Billy Bob Thornton
  • El Mariachi, Robert Rodriquez
  • Crimes & Misdemeanors, Woody Allen
  • Naked, Mike Lee
  • Marathon Man, John Schlesinger 
  • The Grifters, Stephen Frears
  • Reversal of Fortune, Barbet Schroeder
  • A Face in the Crowd, Elia Kazan
  • A Place in the Sun, George Stevens
  • The Great White Hope, Martin Ritt
  • Sophie's Choice, Alan J. Pakula

No comments:

Post a Comment