December 1, 2009

Flourless Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Cookies


There's nothing that makes me want peanut butter more than watching Brad Pitt savor a spoon of it in Meet Joe Black. I'm assuming I speak for myself there... or maybe not. I've had a pretty ongoing obsession with peanut butter for more than a year now. First it was creamy peanut butter, then it was Wholefoods' honey roasted peanut butter that's freshly ground and worth gold to me, and now it's just any organic crunchy peanut butter with honey drizzled on top (because Wholefoods doesn't deliver to the Middle East).

If you like peanuts, there's so much goodness that comes with them. While peanut butter doesn't beat chocolate for me, it still melts in your mouth and is a great snack to get your energy back up. A great source of protein and delicious with apples. What I suggest doing is getting a tablespoon of it out and sealing the lid.... with superglue, then putting it back in the fridge because while it's filled with great nutrients, it's also full of fat and you don't want an overdose, even if it's the good kind of fat.

I decided to try out a few recipes using peanut butter and came up with this yummy one:

Ingredients:


Music: The Seed 2.0 - The Roots
Mood: energetic


¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup agave nectar or honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup organic unsalted peanut butter
¼ cup flaxseed meal 
½ tsp baking soda
pinch of kosher salt
¼ cup unsalted peanuts chopped
¼ cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Warm the applesauce and in a bowl dissolve the sugar in it then add the vanilla extract and peanut butter.  In another bowl combine the flaxseed meal, salt and baking soda then mix them into the wet ingredients. Add in the chocolate chips and chopped peanuts. I used a spatula to make sure it was combined well, it wasn't that fun and I might have gained a couple arm muscles. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Since no flour is used, the mixture can be quite sticky so I use two teaspoons to scoop out the batter and place on a greased pan. Bake on the middle shelf until lightly golden and slightly puffy around 12 – 14 minutes. Servings: 12 cookies.

I hope you enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment