May 7, 2010

the sketchbook project


I can’t even count the number of times I bought a sketchbook so sure that it would become that companion that is carried with me wherever I go to record any creative thoughts that pop up. I don’t know if its that I don’t have any creative thoughts, but most of those sketchbooks are still empty…. which is why I gave up. Recently though I got introduced to The Sketchbook Project, which offers some pretty cool incentive to force some creativity to a sketchbook.

To participate in this project you order a sketchbook and choose a theme by October 31st 2010, you are then sent a blank Moleskin Cahier sketchbook (which you can be as creative as you want with, just don't change the size of it) that you have to send back by January 15th 2011. All the sketchbooks from around the world will then be included in an exhibition that tours Brooklyn, San Fran, Portland, Atlanta and Chicago and with a barcode on each sketchbook you can track where your book is and how many times someone has viewed it. After the tour all the sketchbooks will enter the permanent collection of the Brooklyn Art Library where anyone can view them. 

The themes are pretty random and you don’t need to be a pro to enter, just go all out and put some original… or unoriginal ideas to paper and see where it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment