November 24, 2009

Introducing my Gluten-Free Banana Nut & Date Muffins


So I've been experimenting with different ingredients to make muffins. I was so excited to make them without butter and have them just as moist. These ones specifically are gluten-free and egg free, which I made specially for a friend with allergies.

You're probably thinking wth is Quinoa Flour, it's basically flour from the Quinoa grain, I was only able to find it in an Organic store. I hope you can find it! There's something about it that's magic, I took these muffins out of the oven so many times and they did not deflate at all. Since I use a lot of liquid ingredients, I bake it at a lower temperature for a longer time, you want to make sure they are the right moistness but not doughy.

Make them for such a scrumptious tea time treat or great for breakfast as they are high in fiber and filled with nutritious ingredients. Note: be prepared for feelings of greed and possession. 


Ingredients:


Music: I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash
Mood: you've got the time to bake

Dry:
2 Cups Quinoa Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 Tbs Ground Flaxseed
2 tsp Cinnamon
½ cup chopped Walnuts
2 chopped Dates


Wet:
3 mashed Bananas
¼ cup Yogurt
½ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
¼ cup Honey or ¼ cup Agave
2 tsp Vanilla


For Crumb Topping (optional):
2 Tbs Brown Sugar
1 Tbs Rolled Oats
2 tsp Canola Oil


Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl. Using your own muscles to mix, fold the dry mixture in batches into the wet ingredients. I’ve been told avoiding an electrical mixer for muffins is a better choice because they come out fluffier… you can be the judge of that. I just think it’s one less thing to clean up really. Cover and put aside to make the crumb topping which really gives it that extra umff but it’s just as delish without. Oil your tray (I use a cupcake tray because I prefer the smaller size). I use a spray Pam, but you can oil it by using Canola Oil and wiping the tray with a paper towel. Sprinkle some flour evenly in the cups so that the muffins don’t stick. Pour the mixture into the cups, around halfway full and sprinkle the crumb topping on top. Bake for around 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center. Servings: 16 

No comments:

Post a Comment