September 6, 2009

Praying in Style

Why not pray in the sixth largest mosque in the world if you can? Yesterday I paid a visit to the Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Nahyan Mosque which can accommodate up to 40,000 people. Large would be an understatement. With it's 57 domes and 4 tall minarets made of white marble, it feels like you're entering Aladdin's world... which is like a dream come true for me.
The mosque has such a zen and pure vibe and it was lovely to pray in. As for my sister-in-law who isn't Muslim she felt it to be such a great learning experience after the mini tour we gave her. There are tours throughout the week for non-Muslims, which I highly recommend... just at a cooler time of the year, as feeling sweaty is not supposed to be part of the experience. Also, be sure to check the guidelines for dress code before visiting. I did find it a little unnecessary to note that people aren't allowed to wear swimwear or show any pda though... if you don't know this already you have problems... to say the least.

I've attached some photos we took...they don't do it justice at all:

2 comments:

  1. May,
    The mosque looks beautiful and I'm glad you got the opportunity to pray in such a holy place. In India, women traditionally don't go to mosques which is really sad because having somewhere quiet and peaceful to go to- where you can leave your troubles behind and put life into perspective- is so essential to attaining peace (which in my opinion, is the whole point of Islam). And so, during my school years,since a mosque was out of bounds, I would go sit in the school chapel for a few minutes just to recenter myself (not to mention put off school work!) and it was always magical. Anyway, just wanted to share that thought:)
    Aysha
    PS: I stumbled upon your blog a little while ago, and I love coming back to read every now and then- your posts are always interesting and your subtle brand of humour keeps me smiling:) Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aysha,

    It really made me happy to read your post, I was under the impression that only my mom visited it :D

    I agree completely. It's not easy to find that peace in a mosque. It takes some discipline. But once you reach that point where you can shut out distractions easily it's a whole other experience. It's no longer a place to go to fulfill a requirement but more of a place you want to visit to reach fulfillment and serenity. I think it's so important that everyone find that special place where they can just let go of all thoughts. We always give our bodies attention to be healthier, but what's even harder and just as important is giving as much attention to ours minds to find peace....

    Thank you for your kind words, I hope you keep coming back :)

    m

    ReplyDelete