January 2, 2010

Extensions, Weaves, Wigs, Flowers....


A couple days ago I experienced presenting for the first time in Dubai, it was such an educational opportunity. I got to meet so many wonderful people and got a taste of what presenting is all about. I’ve never considered presenting but it was actually a lot of fun, the only part I dreaded was when we had to shoot the whole thing in Arabic. My Arabic is not as strong as English... yeah.. I'm one of those unfortunate souls who are from a country and aren’t fluent in its language. I'm changing that. So anywho,  saying it was scary is an understatement. Somehow I got out of it alive without being hated, or so I hope....

Part of this educational experience was learning about the local women in the UAE and their sense of style when it comes to wearing their shayla, or head veil. There was a local lady getting prepped in the make-up room and after getting her hair blow dried and tied in a bun, she clipped on this huge ball-like cotton flower that wrapped around her bun. I've never really been a fan of the flimsy flowers in the hair and so when I saw this flower that probably belonged on it's own planet I freaked out a little for her. Then to my surprise and relief, after all the hard work and styling her hair went through she put on a veil and covered the monster flower. It gave an appearance of a bump underneath and I've ALWAYS wondered what that bump was! 

Apparently, women here compete with each other and work hard to maintain "the bump." The way she put it was that every girl wants to have “Burj Dubai” underneath her shayla. There are so many different styles and ways to wear a shayla, this way by far is most interesting imo. I always wondered why the bump was there, I never would have thought it would be a symbol of glamour and fashion. Now every time I see that bump I’ll know it’s not a thick flowing bun of hair, but an oversized tacky flower (and seriously this would be small in comparison).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not putting down the bump, just find it really interesting that even when women cover their hair they still find ways to enhance it to somehow trick the eye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment